Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Natural Building: Use what you've got



And since we are about to get snow, snow, and more snow ("snowmaggedon," says Obama), there's no time like the present to learn about building igloos.

Unfortunately, even a blizzard isn't going to give us the kind of hard frozen ice blocks we need for this kind of building unless you are near the arctic. And I'm glad I'm not-

But maybe this can be adapted? I could see a cob building type method with snow - it's pre-mixed and the right kind of snow is sticky.

Of course - that's a snow fort.

With a form, I bet a dome roof could be easily built. If we get enough snow, I'll build it. Why not, the neighbors already think I'm crazy.


The above image (and article link) is from Igloo Building: In the path of the elders

There is an article about building snowforts in the backyard ("family fun for kids!") here at about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment